What is the grain brain diet all about? Well, obviously, it’s about grains in your diet. Normally, you’d think grains are healthy, but according to Dr Perlmutter, grains are killing us! Yikes! The Grain Brain Diet plan is to eliminate both grains and sugars from our daily food choices.
I am not a medical doctor. I don’t play one on TV. I’m just a mom who likes to read. I found a few interesting tidbits in this book. Some folks think that the data this guy uses to support his ideas on grain isn’t strong enough. So take it or leave it. It’s up to you!
Let Me Break It Down For You
Back when cavemen dominated the earth, they hunted for food. Mostly meats and plants. Really, mostly meat. Grain and fruits were items that only came into the food diet on occasion when they were available seasonally. (Also back then, grain looked a lot different than it did today, because now-a-days grains are genetically modified to produce a better crop.) Makes sense so far!
Now today, we can get anything our little hearts desire just by walking into the supermarket. We pick up processed junk food. In every store we can find cakes, cookies, and pastries. We buy loaves of bread. We consume this type of food in large quantities any time of the year that we please. These lifestyle choices are having a major affect on our health.
Why is Grain So Bad?
Super simple explanation. Grains contain gluten. Gluten causes inflammation. Inflammation in the brain = bad.
I’m going to go ahead and let someone smarter than me answer more in depth why grains are bad. Read this scary article about gluten from the Psychology Today website.
The Grain Brain Diet
What to eat:
- meat (grass fed/organic whenever possible)
- fish (wild caught if possible)
- fat such as coconut oil, olive oil, or butter
- fruit (Keep it to one serving! Fruit has natural sugars, so not too much!)
Dr. Perlmutter’s recommendation is to eat clean 90% of the time. The other 10% is a splurge such as a slice of pizza or a piece of birthday cake. Because, well, life happens and nobody’s 100% perfect.
Who Might Want to Read This Book
If you know anyone or you are suffering from the following conditions, you may want to pick up this book. These conditions are listed straight from the book and can be found on pages 10-11.*
- anxiety and chronic stress
- chronic headaches and migraines
- focus and concentration problems
- inflammatory conditions and diseases, including arthritis
- intestinal problems, including celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, and irritable bowel
- memory problems and mild cognitive impairment, frequently a precursor to Alzheimer’s disease
- mood disorders
- overweight and obesity
- Tourette’s syndrome
- and much more
Reading This Book
Honestly, this book was a tough read. (It was pretty technical at times.) I listened to the audio version, and skimmed the book. I’d recommend the audio version, just because it might be a little easier to digest. (Ha.Ha.) Either way, it’s a lot of information to process.
If you’re wondering about how to apply the information you learn about, don’t worry! The last section of the book has recipes and a plan to ease you into this new way of eating.
The Bottom Line
I’ve cut out grain and sugars from my diet. I have been eating this way for twelve weeks (and counting!). So far, I’ve lost 15 lbs. I look good (My grandma told me so!), and I feel good. I’m sold on the grain brain diet!
This book is worth looking into if you or your loved ones have got any of the above mentioned ailments. It’s also a really great read for you if you’re interested in changing your diet. It may be just the thing you need to kick off that “eating healthy goal.” (You know, that goal you make every year?!) This book might scare you away from those pesky carbs for good!
*PERLMUTTER, DAVID. GRAIN BRAIN: the Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar – Your Brain’s Silent Killers. LITTLE BROWN SPARK, 2013. Pg.10-11